Nothing warms you up like a warm bowl of comforting soup loaded with healthy vegetables and beans. This freezes wonderfully so go ahead and double the recipe.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1½ cups dried brown lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and zucchini and cook for 3–4 minutes, until vegetables soften. Add oregano, basil, and cumin. Stir to combine and cook for 3–4 minutes. Add tomatoes, lentils, vegetable broth, water, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer 1 hour, or until lentils are soft. Right before serving, add spinach and lemon juice. Stir well until spinach wilts. Season with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf before serving.