You can use both red and yellow bell peppers for variety in color and flavor. Red lentils are crucial for this recipe as they completely break down when cooked.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups red lentils
- 6 bell peppers
- 3 oz. feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
- ½ tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat the oil to medium temperature in a large saucepot. Add the onions, celery, and carrots; sauté for 10 minutes, then add 1 cup vegetable stock and the lentils. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the lentils are fully cooked.
- Cut off the tops of the peppers, leaving the stems attached (reserve the tops), and remove the seeds. Place the peppers in a shallow pot with 3 cups vegetable stock. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F. In a bowl, mix together the lentil mixture, the chopped oregano, feta, and black pepper; spoon the mixture into the peppers, and cover with tops. Bake until tops are beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Serve the peppers with the stem tops ajar.