Lentils and Rice
If youʼre accustomed to using vegetable broth in your cooking, use it in this recipe in place of the chicken broth. It will enhance the flavor of this dish.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. lactose-free margarine
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 5 cups water
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup long grain rice
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Heat margarine and oil together until margarine melts in a large, heavy skillet over low heat. Add onion slices. Cook slowly, stirring.
- Place water and lentils in a large stockpot, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Drain lentils and place in a large, heavy saucepan. Add broth, rice, salt, cumin, and pepper.
- Side ⅓ cup of the onions. Add the remainder of the onions to the lentil mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook, covered, until rice is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle the reserved onions over the top and serve immediately.