Light Chili Corn Chowder
Corn chowder, filled with vegetables, is a creamy, rich delight. Evaporated milk is the secret ingredient. It provides creaminess with very little fat.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 medium ears corn, husked
- 2 cans (14 oz.) fat-free chicken broth
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground white pepper
- 2 cans (13 oz.) evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat grill.
- Place the corn directly on the grill rack and cook until charred on all side. Remove and allow to cool slightly. Once the corn has cooled enough to handle, cut the kernels from the cobs and set aside. Discard the cobs.
- In a small saucepan, combine chicken broth and the green chilies and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes; remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, red bell pepper, and garlic; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add flour, salt, and pepper; cook and stir until bubbly.
- Add evaporated milk all at once; cook and stir until thickened. Add broth mixture and corn; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add cheese, stir until melted, and serve immediately.