Light and Creamy Swedish Meatballs
All of the flavor, none of the guilt! Serve leftover meatballs over yolk-free egg noodles.
Serves: 20Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 6 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 thin slices white sandwich bread
- ½ cup 1% milk
- 2 lbs. 94% lean ground beef or ground chicken
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp. ground allspice, divided use
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg, divided use
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 12 oz. fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 Tbsp. melted butter
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a shallow saucepan, cook the bread and milk on low until the milk is absorbed, about 1 minute. Place the bread into a large bowl and add the meat, garlic, egg, ¼ teaspoon allspice, and ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg.
- Mix until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Roll into 1" balls. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the meatballs in a single layer on the baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes, and then drain on paper towel–lined plates.
- Meanwhile, bring the stock, evaporated milk, butter, and remaining nutmeg and allspice to a simmer. Whisk in the flour and continue to whisk until the mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Place the meatballs into a 6-quart oval slow cooker. Pour the sauce over the meatballs. Cook on low up to 6 hours. Stir gently before serving to distribute the sauce evenly.