Light Sweet and Sour Meatballs with Rice
Sweet and sour is a flavor combination everyone loves. The meatballs also make a wonderful appetizer. Simply skip the rice.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 can (20 oz.) pineapple tidbits
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 27 frozen meatballs, baked
- 4 cups hot, cooked white rice
- In large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir for 4 minutes. Add bell peppers; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Sprinkle with flour, salt, and pepper; cook until bubbly, about 3 minutes.
- Add pineapple tidbits with liquid, orange juice, soy sauce, cider vinegar, and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add meatballs to sauce and stir gently. Bring back to a simmer; simmer for 10 minutes or until meatballs are hot. Serve immediately over rice.