Light Vanilla Ice Cream
For chocolate ice cream, stir 1 cup chopped good-quality chocolate into the custard mixture after it’s cooked but before you begin to chill it. You could also add mashed strawberries, raspberries, or pears to create your own flavor.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 8 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups nonfat light cream
- 1 can (13 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (13 oz.) nonfat evaporated milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- In large saucepan, combine cream, condensed milk, and evaporated milk and mix until combined. Stir in egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt and beat well until blended.
- Place pan over low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to thicken. Continue cooking until the custard coats the back of a spoon.
- Strain custard into a large bowl and stir in the vanilla. Cover and chill for 6 hours in refrigerator. Freeze according to ice cream maker’s instructions.