Light Whole-Grain Bread
This hearty, bread is packed full of flavor, nutrition, and fiber. Cut it into slices for toast or sandwiches.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 packages (2¼ tsp.) active dry yeast
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup honey
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour, divided
- ½ cup oat bran
- ½ cup cracked wheat
- 4 cups bread flour, divided
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- In large bowl, combine water and yeast; mix well and let stand for 10 minutes. Add buttermilk, orange juice, salt, honey, oil, and egg and beat well. Add 1 cup whole-wheat flour, oat bran, cracked wheat, 1 cup bread flour, and baking soda; beat for 1 minute. Let bread stand for 30 minutes.
- Gradually add enough remaining whole-wheat flour and bread flour to form a firm dough. Turn onto floured surface and knead for 10 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Turn dough onto floured work surface and let rest for 10 minutes. Grease 2 loaf pans (9" x 5") with unsalted butter and set aside. Punch down dough and divide into two parts. On floured surface, roll or pat each portion of dough to a 7" x 12" rectangle. Roll up tightly, starting with a shorter side. Place in prepared pans.
- Cover with towel, and let rise until double, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.