Lime Divine Tarts
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1¼ cup unsalted butter, divided
- 2 Tbsp. ice water
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup lime juice
- 1 tsp. grated lime zest
- 1 medium lime, cut into thin slices
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine the flour and confectioners’ sugar in a large bowl. Add ¾ cup butter and, using a pastry blender, cut in until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the water with a fork, mixing until fine crumbs form. Gather up the dough and pat into a ball. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough 1⁄16" thick. Cut out 12 rounds to fit tartlet tins 3½" in diameter. Bake for 12 minutes. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs until light. Add the sugar, lime juice, and zest and stir well. Pour into the top pan of a double boiler. Add ½ cup butter and place over (not touching) simmering water. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from the heat, pour into a bowl, let cool, and chill at least 1 hour.
- Fill the tart shells to the brim with the cooled filling. Garnish with lime slices.