Limoncello Gelato (Gelato di limoncello)
The perfect ending to the perfect Italian meal is limoncello, an Italian lemon liqueur. This gelato variation steps it up and gives you a creamy dessert to boot!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 11 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Zest of 2 lemons (about 2 Tbsp.), finely chopped
- 5 large egg yolks
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup limoncello
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, salt, and lemon zest. Stir over medium heat. Once simmering, remove from heat, cover, and allow to steep for 1 hour.
- Reheat milk mixture over medium-low heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks. Once milk mixture is hot, temper the yolks by adding half of the mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan, and heat until thickened. Pour ½ cup of heavy cream into a large mixing bowl over an ice bath. Strain custard into the cream.
- Stir together limoncello, lemon juice, and remaining cream. Stir into gelato mixture. Refrigerate 8 hours to overnight.
- Add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing. Stop the churning as soon as the gelato is just frozen.