Limoncello-Mascarpone Ice Cream
This Italian-inspired ice cream is sweet, tangy, and tart. Mascarpone is sold in most large supermarkets but if you cannot find it, use cream cheese.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 8 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. limoncello liqueur
- 1 Tbsp. minced candied lemon peel
- 1 package (8 oz.) mascarpone, softened
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk and cream to a boil and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, and salt until thick and lighter in color.
- Slowly stream hot milk mixture into egg mixture until fully incorporated. Add egg mixture to saucepan and cook over medium heat until thick, being careful not to boil. Strain into a clean bowl; add limoncello, and refrigerate 4 hours to overnight.
- Stir in mascarpone. Add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing. Fold in minced candied lemon peel before placing in the freezer.