Linguini Alle Vongole
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 12 fresh clams in the shell
- 1 Tbsp. plus ¼ tsp. salt, divided
- 1 lb. linguine
- 7 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1¾ cups chopped clams
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- ½ cup bottled clam juice
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Place clams with shells in a pot deep enough to hold 2 inches of water plus the clams. Cover tightly. After the water comes to a rolling boil over high heat, steam the clams until just opened, 3 to 5 minutes. Do not overcook.
- In a large pot, bring at least 4 quarts water to a rolling boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Add the pasta, stir to separate, and cook until al dente. Drain and place in a large warmed bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 5 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute until golden. Add the chopped clams and fresh clams and sauté for 1 minute. Add the tomato, clam juice, remaining salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and parsley. Pour over linguine. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over the top.