These delicate cookies are beautiful for Valentine’s Day. Substitute 1 teaspoon of rose water for the vanilla for an old-fashioned taste.
Makes: 24 cookiesHands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 8 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
Makes: 24 cookies
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. almond extract
- 1½ cups finely ground almonds
- 2¼ cups cake flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup raspberry jam
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- Cream butter. Add granulated sugar, lemon, egg, vanilla extract, almond extract, and ground nuts; beat until creamy.
- Whisk dry ingredients together; blend in. Chill dough overnight, tightly wrapped.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to ⅛" thickness. Cut with heart-shaped or round cookie cutters. Cut 1 or 3 holes in half of the cookies using a small cookie cutter or chopstick. Place on cookie sheets; bake 12 minutes.
- Heat jam; spread a layer on solid cookies. Press a cookie with holes in it on top. Fill holes with more jam. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar when cool.