These delicate cookies are beautiful for Valentine’s Day. Substitute 1 teaspoon of rose water for the vanilla for an old-fashioned taste.
Makes: 24Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 8 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 tsp. almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely ground almonds
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup raspberry jam
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Cream butter. Add granulated sugar, lemon, egg, vanilla extract, almond extract, and ground nuts; beat until creamy.
- Whisk dry ingredients together; blend in. Chill dough overnight, tightly wrapped.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to 1⁄8-inch thickness. Cut with heart-shaped or round cookie cutters. Cut 1 or 3 holes in half of the cookies using a small cookie cutter or chopstick. Place on cookie sheets; bake 12 minutes.
- Heat jam; spread a layer on solid cookies. Press a cookie with holes in it on top. Fill holes with more jam. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar when cool.