Serves: 6Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 2 live lobsters (1 1⁄2 lbs. each)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups semolina flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. Cognac
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups light cream
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- In a large pot, bring at least 4 quarts of water to a boil. Drop the lobsters into the water for 2 minutes, lift them out, and cool them in cold water. Using a large knife, split them lengthwise. Remove the stomach (a sac between the eyes) and discard. Scoop out the liver (dark green, soft) and reserve. Remove all meat and save the shells.
- In a food processor, purée the lobster meat. Add the cream, mix well, and season with pepper and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Place semolina flour, all-purpose flour, and eggs in a food processor and pulse to combine. Gradually add the milk and mix until the dough forms a soft ball. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into 2 long rectangular sheets.
- Place teaspoonfuls of filling 1 inch apart and 1 inch from the edge along one sheet. Cover them with another sheet of dough. With a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut into circles and press each around the edges to seal.
- To make the sauce, chop up the reserved lobster shells. In a heavy, stainless steel saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shells and sauté, stirring, until a bronze tint develops. Pour in the Cognac and ignite. Let it burn out, add the onion, and stir for 15 seconds. Add the cream and cook over low heat until thickened, about 15 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a large clean saucepan. Whip in the lobster liver and return to a boil. Season with cayenne pepper and remaining salt.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Drop the ravioli into the water and cook 3 minutes. Remove ravioli with a slotted spoon or a flat, long, handled strainer. Place ravioli in the pan with the sauce and gently reheat over low heat. Divide among plates and serve.