London Broil with Italian-Style Marinade
Two cuts are alternatively used for London Broil: round and shoulder steaks. Round steak is more tender than shoulder steak. Serve this with hearty vegetables such as mushrooms and asparagus, sautéed or grilled.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 4 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1½ Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 tsp. dry English mustard
- 1 tsp. celery salt
- 2 drops Tabasco sauce
- 10 peppercorns, bruised
- 2½ lbs. shoulder or round steaks
- Mix the olive oil, red wine, lemon juice, garlic cloves, whole cloves, mustard, celery salt, Tabasco sauce, and peppercorns together and pour them over the steak. Either seal with plastic wrap or place in a heavy-duty plastic bag. Turning every 2 hours, marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat the grill or prepare coals to medium-high.
- Place steak in disposable aluminum pan and place on grill. Cook on the hot grill, basting every few minutes with the marinade. It is okay to use the same marinade you used to baste the raw steaks, as that will burn off. Cook to desired state of doneness, about 8–10 minutes per side.
- Be sure to rest meat for at least 5 minutes and then slice on the diagonal, across the grain.