Long-Cooking Traditional Tomato Sauce
Slow cooking tomato sauce allows the flavors to develop and meld, becoming the perfect mix of slightly sweet and savory.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 8 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage, sliced into ½" rounds
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and diced
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 4 cans (28 oz.) plum tomatoes
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried parsley
- ½ tsp. fennel seeds
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage until browned, about 5–8 minutes. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and place in a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven and add onions and shallots. Cook until softened, about 5–8 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, and cook for 5 minutes. Break tomatoes down with potato masher as they cook.
- Pour tomato mixture over sausage in the slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Simmer on low for 8 hours.
- Serve immediately or cool in an ice bath and freeze for up to 3 months.