Low-Carb Cauliflower Cream Soup
Blue cheese toasts add a nice touch of flavor contrast to this soup, but can easily be omitted if you’re watching your carb count.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large head cauliflower
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground white pepper
- ¼ cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 6 oz. blue cheese, softened
- 1 French baguette, sliced and toasted
- Cut the cauliflower into flowerets. In a large pot of boiling salted water, blanch the cauliflower for 3 minutes. Drain through a colander.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender. Add the stock, bring to a boil; and reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir in the milk and add the cauliflower. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove and reserve ⅓ of the cauliflower.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the soup until smooth. Strain the soup through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean saucepan. Stir in the crème fraîche (or sour cream) and add the reserved cauliflower. Reheat very gently.
- Spread the softened blue cheese onto the toasted baguette, and serve alongside soup.