Low-Fat Baking Powder Biscuits
These light and flaky biscuits are table ready in 15 minutes, making them a great choice for any meal. Substitute unsalted butter for the shortening if you prefer.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 4 tsp. sodium-free baking powder
- 4 Tbsp. nonhydrogenated vegetable shortening
- 1 egg white
- ⅔ cup low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Take out a baking sheet and set aside.
- Place the flours, sugar, and baking powder into a mixing bowl and whisk well to combine. Cut the shortening into the mixture using your fingers, and work until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add the egg white and milk and stir to combine.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 1 minute. Roll dough to ¾" thickness and cut into 12 rounds (2"). Place rounds on the baking sheet. Place baking sheet on middle rack in oven and bake 10 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet and place biscuits on a wire rack to cool.