Low-Fat Banana–Almond Muffins
Bananas and sour cream add flavor and moistness to these gorgeous little muffins.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 12 paper muffin cup liners
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1½ tsp. cinnamon, divided
- ¾ cup brown sugar, divided
- ¼ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 egg whites
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ⅔ cup sliced toasted almonds, divided
- 3 Tbsp. wheat germ
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ cup brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and mix well.
- In small bowl, combine bananas, sour cream, egg whites, canola oil, and vanilla and mix well. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Stir in ⅓ cup almonds. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- In small bowl, combine ¼ cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons sugar, wheat germ, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and the remaining almonds and mix well. Add melted butter and mix until crumbly. Crumble over muffin batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until muffins are set and tops are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.