Low-Fat Cheese Muffins
These tender little muffins are delicious served with a main dish salad for a light lunch.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. minced onion
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 cup diced low-fat Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 12 muffin cups with nonstick baking spray containing flour and set aside.
- In small bowl, combine garlic, and onion; set aside. In large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and mix well.
- In another small bowl, combine olive oil, honey, egg, buttermilk, and orange juice and mix well. Add to flour mixture and blend just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in Swiss cheese.
- Fill muffin cups with batter. Sprinkle muffins with onion mixture. Bake for 18–24 minutes or until muffins are golden brown. Let cool for 20 minutes; serve warm.