Low-Fat Cheese Sauce
You can use any low-fat or nonfat cheese in this super simple sauce. Serve it over cooked vegetables or as a pasta sauce.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ½ tsp. lemon pepper
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons 1% milk, divided
- ½ cup grated low-fat extra sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. mustard
- Combine flour and cornstarch in small saucepan. Place over medium-low heat; cook and stir until toasted but not browned, stirring constantly. Add lemon pepper, salt, and 1 cup milk, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir over medium-low heat until sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cheese and mustard; stir with wire whisk over low heat until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Add remaining 2 tablespoons milk if necessary for desired consistency. Serve immediately.