Low-Fat French Onion Soup
This soup is best with toasted French bread, but you can toast nearly any type of bread for dipping. Heat the bowls in the microwave and the cheese melts just as well as in the broiler.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 large white onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. low-calorie margarine
- 16 oz. low-sodium beef broth
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 8 slices hearty whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat grated Swiss cheese
- In a large pot, cook the onions with the margarine until brown and very soft, about 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the broth, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Pour into individual ovenproof bowls. Top with toasted bread and grated cheese. Place under broiler and heat until cheese bubbles and serve.