Sprinkle this cake lightly with a little powdered sugar before serving.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup margarine
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp. ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ⅔ cup fat-free milk
- 2 Tbsp. confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the granulated sugar and margarine with an electric mixer until well blended. Add the molasses and egg and mix well. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a large bowl. Add the flour mixture to sugar mixture then the milk; mix well.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the bread comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Dust the top of the gingerbread with confectioners' sugar before serving.