Low-Fat Ice Cream
This is a fast homemade ice cream. You can top it with any fresh fruit of your choice.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 9 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 1 envelope (2½ tsp.) plain gelatin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 can (7.5 oz.) low-fat evaporated milk
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped and reserved
- Sprinkle gelatin over 1 cup of milk; let sit for 5 minutes
- In a medium pot, bring remaining 1 cup milk until steaming; do not let it boil.
- Remove ½ cup of the hot liquid and slowly beat it into the egg yolk in a small bowl. Beat the egg yolk mixture into the remaining hot mixture.
- Add the gelatin mixture to the hot milk. Mix in the sugar and stir until dissolved. Add the vanilla bean and scraped seeds. Cool the mixture to room temperature then transfer to the refrigerator until cold.
- Discard the vanilla bean. Transfer ingredients to an ice cream maker and follow the instructions to freeze. Or, move to a large plastic container and freeze 6 hours before serving.