This recipe works well in a 9-by-9-inch cooking pan.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. dry lasagna noodles
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1 1⁄2 cups part-skim milk shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 lb. extra lean ground beef
- 1 jar (24 oz.) marinara sauce
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground fennel
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Mix cottage cheese, egg white, and 1⁄2 cup of mozzarella cheese in a medium bowl. Set aside. Brown beef in a deep skillet and drain.
- Add the ground fennel to the marinara sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. Spray your baking dish lightly and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread a 1⁄2 cup of the sauce on bottom of dish, then cover with a layer of noodles. Spread half of the ground beef, then top with 1 cup of sauce. Repeat the layer of noodles, meat and sauce. Add a third layer of noodles then add the zucchini and the remaining sauce. Top with a final layer of noodles followed by the cottage cheese mixture. Top with remaining 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until lasagna is bubbly and golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.