Low-Fat Lemon Meringue Pie
Putting lemon filling in a graham cracker pie crust not only adds flavor and texture to this classic recipe, but it reduces the fat content.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 7 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄2 cups plus 6 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1 graham cracker crust (9 inches)
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄8 tsp. cream of tartar
- 6 Tbsp. sugar
- In a saucepan, combine 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, cornstarch, flour, and salt. Using a wire whisk, stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat. In a bowl, lightly beat egg yolks. Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into egg yolks, beating well. Then add egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring, 4 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Add butter and lemon juice, mixing well. Cool for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour into the pie crust and cool completely in refrigerator, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, on high speed, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar, beating until stiff peaks form and the sugar is dissolved. Spread over the cooled filling, sealing to the edges of the crust.
- Bake until meringue browns, about 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 30 minutes, then chill for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator before serving.