Low-Fat Macaroni and Cheese
There are virtually hundreds of ways to make this macaroni and cheese your own. Using two different cheeses makes the flavor undeniable, but you can stick to one if you prefer.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups Cavatappi pasta
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. fat-free milk
- 1 cup of reduced-fat grated Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup reduced-fat grated Swiss cheese
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside
- While pasta is cooking, sauté onion in a skillet with the oil over medium heat until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the flour, and cook 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk to prevent lumps.
- Mix in the cheese, stirring constantly until thick. Stir in the nutmeg and salt.
- Add the cooked pasta and toss to coat. Sprinkle with black pepper.