Low-Fat Pumpkin Bread
This spicy and velvety bread has the best aroma while it’s baking, and it tastes even better.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup canned solid-pack no-salt pumpkin
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9" × 5" loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray containing flour, and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine brown sugar, ¼ cup granulated sugar, canola oil, egg, egg whites, and vanilla and beat until combined. Add pumpkin and beat until smooth.
- Sift together flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom. Add to pumpkin mixture and beat until smooth.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan. In small bowl combine 2 tablespoons sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon and mix well. Sprinkle over batter. Bake for 60–70 minutes or until bread is set and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan and let cool on wire rack.