Low-Fat Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin pie is a must for Thanksgiving. This low-fat version is creamy and delicious, just like the original.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 6 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned solid-packed pumpkin
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated skim milk
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest
- 3 egg whites
- 1 pre-baked pie shell (9 inches)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large bowl, stir together granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Beat in the pumpkin, vanilla, evaporated milk, orange zest, and egg whites until smooth.
- Pour into prepared crust. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 325°F and continue to bake until a knife inserted in the filling comes out clean, about 40 minutes. If the edges of the crust start to get too brown, cover the edges with foil.
- Cool on wire rack for 1 hour, then cover and chill in refrigerator for 4 hours before serving.