Low-Fat Shrimp Jambalaya
Jambalaya is a party in a pot! Serve this excellent recipe with lots of toasted bread rubbed with garlic to soak up all the juices.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ¼ lb. chorizo, sliced
- 1½ lbs. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cans (14 oz.) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2½ cups long-grain white rice
- 1 lb. medium raw shrimp, peeled
- ½ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a large soup pot, combine olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, and bell peppers; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add chorizo, chicken, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper; cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add rice and reduce heat to low; simmer until rice is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add the shrimp; cook until shrimp turn pink, stirring frequently, about 5 to 6 minutes longer. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.