Low-Fat Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
Making this classic soup in the slow cooker helps reduce the fat. All you have to do at the end is ladle it into bowls and top with cheese toasts.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 6 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 5 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 cups beef stock
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground white pepper
- ½ tsp. dried marjoram leaves
- 1 package (3 oz.) low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded Havarti cheese
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 slices crusty bread
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, combine olive oil, onions, garlic, and sugar. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the onions are deep golden brown. Halfway through cooking time, add the red wine. Do not let this burn.
- Add carrots, beef stock, chicken stock, salt, white pepper, and marjoram. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine cream cheese, Havarti, and Parmesan cheeses.
- Preheat broiler. Spread cheese mixture on bread slices and sprinkle black pepper over top. Broil bread slices until cheese melts, about 3 minutes. Spoon soup into hot bowls and top with bread.