Low-Fat Sweet Potato Latkes
Use your food processor to quickly process the potatoes, apples, and onion to a fine grate and cut the preparation time in half for this recipe. Serve topped with applesauce or nondairy sour cream.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and grated
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and grated
- 2 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Using a cloth or paper towel, gently squeeze out excess moisture from potatoes and apples, and combine with onions in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet. Drop potato mixture in the hot oil a 1⁄4 cup at a time, and use a spatula to flatten, forming a pancake. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until lightly crisped. Repeat with remaining oil and batter.