Low-Fat Tomato Sauce
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- ⅛ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp. mustard powder
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- ⅛ tsp. dried lemon granules, crushed
- 1 can (15 oz.) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 oz.) no-salt-added tomato purée
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large, covered microwave-safe casserole dish treated with nonstick cooking spray, add the onion, garlic, celery, carrots, and bay leaf.
- Drain the juice from the diced tomatoes and reserve. Add the drained tomatoes to the dish; mix well. Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes, turning the dish halfway through the cooking time. Carefully remove the cover and stir in the oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, black pepper, mustard powder, sugar, and lemon granules. Cover and let rest for 3 minutes. Carefully remove the cover and check that the onion is transparent. If not, microwave on high for additional 1-minute increments until all the vegetables are cooked and soft.
- Remove the bay leaf and add the tomato mixture to the bowl of a food processor; process until smooth.
- Bring a large, deep nonstick sauté pan treated with the spray oil to temperature over low heat. Add the puréed tomato-vegetable mixture, reserved juice from the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato purée; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Add the garlic and onion powders; simmer for an additional 15 minutes or until thick. Whisk in the extra-virgin olive oil.