Low-Fat, Whole-Grain Whoopie Pies
Whoopie pies aren’t exactly health food, but as an occasional treat these are perfect. This version is lower in fat, cholesterol, and calories than the standard variety, and adds healthy whole-grain flour to the mix.
Serves: 9Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white whole-wheat flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. sodium-free baking soda
- 1 egg white
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup low-fat milk
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 Tbsp. marshmallow creme
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- Place the flours, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, and baking soda into a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add the egg white, oil, and milk and beat well.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet. Place sheet on middle rack in oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove sheet from oven. Remove cookie halves from baking sheet and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat process with remaining batter.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, remove from heat and add vanilla, marshmallow creme, and confectioners' sugar. Stir well to combine.
- Once the cookie halves have cooled, make sandwiches out of them by spreading filling on one half and sandwiching with another. Store in an airtight container or wrap in plastic.