Low-Salt Caesar Salad
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp. plain nonfat yogurt
- ¼ tsp. mustard powder
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. low-salt ketchup
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup low-salt croutons
- 4 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- In a small nonstick sauté pan over medium heat, sauté the olive oil and garlic until the oil is warmed. Remove from heat and set aside to allow the garlic flavor to infuse in the oil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Worcestershire sauce, egg, lemon juice, mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard powder, and pepper.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove and discard the garlic from the olive oil. Return the sauté pan to the burner. Warm the oil over medium heat, then add the egg mixture. Stirring or whisking constantly, heat the mixture until it becomes a thickened sauce. Add the ketchup and whisk to combine. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Toss the lettuce with the dressing. Add the croutons and cheese and toss again. Top with additional freshly ground black pepper.