Low-Salt Chicken Curry
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 tsp. olive or canola oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 oz.), cut into chunks
- 1 large Vidalia onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp. salt-free curry powder
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ⅛ cup unsweetened, no-salt-added applesauce
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Heat oil in a large, deep nonstick sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the chicken to the pan and sauté until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Add the onion and sauté until transparent. Add the curry powder and pepper; mix with the onion. Stir in the flour and applesauce to create a roux. Increase the heat to medium-high. Gradually whisk in the milk, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a simmer. Add the chicken back to the pan. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the “gravy” is thickened. Serve with rice.