Low-Salt Dirty Rice
The classic Cajun dish, reworked to be much lower in fat and sodium, but not taste. This makes a wonderful one-skillet supper or side dish.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ lb. extra-lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 medium stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tsp. sodium-free beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp. low-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried marjoram
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 3 cups cooked long-grain brown rice
- Place the ground beef, onion, celery, and garlic into a sauté pan over medium heat. Cook until the beef is browned, roughly 3–5 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, beef bouillon, water, Worcestershire sauce, and herbs and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the scallions and simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add the cooked rice and stir well to combine. Serve immediately.