Low-Salt Soft Pretzels
Delicious, hot-from-the-oven soft pretzels are easier to make than you’d think. After baking, spray lightly with oil and sprinkle with choice of seasoning, enjoy plain, or serve with salt-free mustard.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4½ tsp. dry active yeast
- 1½ cups warm water
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Take out a large baking sheet and set aside.
- Place the yeast into a large mixing bowl. Add water, honey, and flours and stir to combine. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 10 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a long snake-like tube, then twist to form a pretzel. Place pretzels onto the baking sheet and brush lightly with the beaten egg.
- Place baking sheet on middle rack in oven and bake 15 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and place pretzels on a wire rack to cool.