Low-Sugar Butterscotch Custard
Silky and sweet with a faint hint of bitter from the butterscotch, this will be a huge hit.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 4 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup erythritol or granular Swerve
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 tsp. sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Place 2 ramekins in a deep baking pan just large enough to hold them.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and sweetener and cook until butter browns, about 5 minutes. Very slowly add cream, whisking constantly until completely blended with butter, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt until the egg yolks are foamy. Slowly pour egg mixture into cream, whisking constantly to combine well.
- Pour mixture through a fine strainer into ramekins using a spoon to help you. Pour hot water into baking pan halfway up ramekins. Bake until custard is set, about 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool in baking pan about 4 hours. Can be stored in refrigerator up to 3 days.