Lower-Cholesterol Apple Bake
Here’s a healthier take on a baked dessert. Bake this treat ahead of time and warm it up before serving. Garnish with whipped cream or ice cream for a cool, creamy contrast.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 box (18.25 oz.) box yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup low-cholesterol margarine, softened
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 large baking apples, cored, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup cholesterol-free egg product (i.e., Egg Beaters)
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch by 13-inch baking pan.
- Mix cake mix, margarine, brown sugar, and cinnamon until large crumbs form.
- Set aside 2⁄3 cup of the crumb mixture. Press remaining mixture into the bottom of a rectangular baking pan. Arrange apples on top of this layer.
- Combine egg product and sour cream and pour this mixture on top of the fruit. Top with reserved crumb mixture. Bake for 30 minutes or until topping browns slightly.
- Cool before serving.