Macaroni Casserole with Nøkkelost Cheese
This creamy macaroni casserole features Norway’s cumin-and-clove studded Nøkkelost cheese. The casserole’s crunchy topping also contains Swedish Våsterbotten cheese. Parmesan can also be used in its place.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 2⁄3 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. canola or olive oil
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups Nøkkelost cheese, grated
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni, cooked until al dente
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2⁄3 cup rye breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup Våsterbotten cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 12-by-9-inch casserole dish.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring cream to a simmer. Gradually whisk in the grated Nøkkelost cheese until it is fully incorporated. Remove from heat and stir in the cooked macaroni, and sautéed onions. Transfer the macaroni mixture to the prepared casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter, rye breadcrumbs, and grated Våsterbotten and sprinkle the over the casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until top is golden.