Macaroni Casserole with Nøkkelost Cheese
This creamy macaroni casserole features Norway’s cumin-and-clove studded Nøkkelost cheese. The unique and flavorful cheese can be hard to find in stores outside of Norway, however it is available online. The casserole’s crunchy topping contains Swedish Våsterbotten cheese. Parmesan can also be used.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- ⅔ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. canola or olive oil
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1½ cups Nøkkelost cheese, grated
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni, cooked until al dente
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ⅔ cup rye breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Våsterbotten cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 12" × 9" casserole dish.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring cream to a simmer. Gradually whisk in the grated Nøkkelost cheese until it is fully incorporated. Remove from heat and stir in the cooked macaroni, and sautéed onions. Transfer the macaroni mixture to the prepared casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter, rye breadcrumbs, and grated Våsterbotten and sprinkle the over the casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until top is golden.