Macaroni and Cheese with Crumb Topping
Macaroni and cheese is such delicious comfort food. While the pasta cooks, make a creamy white sauce, add cheese, stir in cooked pasta and pour it all into a baking dish. Cover with buttery, seasoned breadcrumbs and bake until crunchy and golden on top, gooey in the middle.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 6 quarts water
- 4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 box (1 lb.) elbow macaroni
- 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. mustard
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F. With 1 tablespoon of butter, grease a medium baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add a tablespoon of salt and stir. Add pasta, stir and cook 7–8 minutes, or until al dente; drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine milk, flour, mustard, ½ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper; whisk until smooth.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Whisk in milk mixture and water and bring to a simmer whisking constantly. Simmer for 3–5 minutes, or until thickened.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in cheeses and cooked pasta. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- In small microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add breadcrumbs, the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt, and the remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Mix well and sprinkle over filled baking dish.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes or until cheese sauce bubbles and breadcrumb topping is browned.
- Serve immediately.