Madeleines (Butter Cakes)
Created in Lorraine, in the East of France, these small delicious cakes are now famous all over the world. No wonder! They are delicious alone, with tea, or a nice applesauce.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 2 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 7 Tbsp. butter, diced, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over very low heat. As soon as it melts, remove from heat and reserve. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk 2 eggs and the egg yolk with the sugar. You can use a fork or a whisk. Add the baking powder, whisking continuously, and add the flour very slowly. Add the butter, and whisk again until smooth. Put in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Butter the Madeleine pan if you have the steel version (the modern silicone version is better), and pour the batter in each hole 3⁄4 way up. Bake for 13 minutes.
- Unmold them as soon as they are out of the oven. Cool on a rack.