Maja Blanca (Filipino Coconut Pudding)
Many Filipino desserts include ingredients such as beans or sweet corn for flavor and texture. If you like, you can add a drained 15-ounce can of sweet kernel corn to this dessert just after the coconut milk comes to a simmer.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 4 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cans (13.5 oz.) coconut milk
- 1 can (14 oz.) condensed milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup toasted unsweet shredded coconut
- Heat coconut milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat until boiling, about 6 minutes. Add condensed milk and sugar, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornstarch and condensed milk. Whisk cornstarch mixture into coconut milk mixture. Increase the heat to medium and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer pudding to serving bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Serve cold topped with toasted coconut.