Make-Ahead Beef Stroganoff
To serve immediately, mix sour cream with flour and liquid and add to stroganoff. Simmer until thickened and serve with hot egg noodles.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. beef sirloin steak, cut into 1½" pieces
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, quartered
- 1 can (10 oz.) condensed beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups uncooked egg noodles
- Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil and butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat and brown beef cubes in batches, about 4 to 5 minutes per batch. Add onions, garlic, and mushrooms to drippings in saucepan and cook 5 minutes until crisp-tender, stirring frequently.
- Return beef to saucepan and add broth, water, Worcestershire sauce, and marjoram; stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover saucepan, and simmer for 1½ hours until beef is tender. Cool in ice-water bath or in refrigerator.
- Pour into 1-gallon-size zip-top bag; label and freeze. Reserve sour cream in refrigerator, and flour and egg noodles in pantry.
- To thaw and reheat: Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Pour stroganoff into saucepan and bring to a boil. In medium bowl, combine sour cream, flour, and ⅓ cup of the stroganoff liquid and beat well with wire whisk. Stir into stroganoff and cook until thickened. Cook egg noodles as directed on package and serve with stroganoff.