Make-Ahead Chicken Risotto
To serve immediately, continue cooking rice mixture, adding 1 cup water and condensed chicken broth, until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through. Add remaining ingredients and cook until hot.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup chopped leeks
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded chicken (light and dark meat)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 can (10 oz.) condensed chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- Heat olive oil in large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and leeks; cook and stir for 5 to 7 minutes until crisp-tender.
- Add rice and stir well until rice is coated. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat, until rice begins to look translucent. Add white wine and cook, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Turn heat down to low; add chicken broth and cook, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Stir in chicken.
- Remove pan from heat and place mixture in rigid containers. Chill in refrigerator or ice-water bath; then wrap, pack, and freeze. Attach bag with grated cheese. Reserve condensed chicken broth in pantry, and cream and butter in refrigerator.
- To thaw and reheat: Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Place in saucepan over low heat, Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until hot. Combine reserved condensed chicken broth with 1 cup water and add to rice mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until liquid is absorbed, rice is tender, and chicken is heated through, about 10 minutes. Add cheese, cream, and butter, and stir until cheese and butter are melted.