Make-Ahead Dinner Rolls
To quickly warm, place these rolls in a paper bag and heat in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds (until warm, but not hot) and serve with honey butter.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 packages (.25 oz.) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- Pinch sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 cups flour
- In a large bowl, mix together the yeast, warm water, and pinch of sugar. Let mixture sit for about 10 minutes until it starts to froth on top. Add butter and eggs to yeast and mix. Add sugar, salt, and 3 cups flour and mix. Continue to add flour until the dough is easy to handle.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until it becomes elastic. Put the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover it with a towel, and set the bowl in a warm place for about 1 hour until the dough has doubled in size.
- Shape into rolls and put in a greased baking pan. Cover the rolls with a towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake rolls at 400°F for 15 to 20 minutes. Let rolls cool for 30 minutes before freezing.
- Warm frozen rolls, wrapped in foil, 350°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes.