Make-Ahead Freezer Black Bean Soup
After you ladle soup in each bowl, top it with a dollop of sour cream and fresh cilantro. Soup is delicious served with fresh cornbread.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup sherry
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1⁄4 tsp. thyme
- 1⁄4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cans (15.2 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (14 oz.) vegetable broth
- In stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté the onion in olive oil for 5 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 additional minute. Add the sherry, cumin, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Mix well and remove from heat. Put half the beans in a blender and purée. Add the whole beans and puréed beans to the stockpot. Pour the broth into the stockpot. Mix well. Put soup into a freezer bag or plastic container and freeze.
- Put frozen soup into pan and heat on medium for 15 to 20 minutes or until soup reaches desired temperature.