Make-Ahead Freezer Chicken Cordon Bleu
Cordon bleu is a French phrase meaning “blue ribbon.” The term has come to stand for food or chefs that are distinguished and of the highest quality.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 oz. each)
- 6 slices deli ham
- 12 oz. grated Swiss cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh basil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Lay each piece of chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. With a meat mallet, flatten the chicken until it is 1⁄4 inch thick. Cover each piece of chicken with a slice of ham, and sprinkle the Swiss cheese on top of the ham. Fold in each long side of chicken breast, beginning at a short end and rolling it up jelly-roll style. Cut each roll in half and secure with a toothpick.
- In a small bowl, mix together eggs and milk. Set aside. In a shallow plate, mix together flour and 3⁄4 teaspoon salt. Set aside. In a separate shallow plate, mix together breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, basil, garlic powder, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Dip chicken pieces in flour mixture to coat. Next dip in egg mixture to coat. Lastly, dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Brown chicken for 2 to 3 minutes on all sides until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Lay the chicken on a baking sheet lined with wax paper and freeze. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag.
- When ready to cook, place defrosted chicken in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Pour chicken broth into the pan. Bake chicken at 400°F for 30 to 40 minutes until chicken is fully cooked.