Make-Ahead Freezer Eggplant Parmigiana
You don’t need to defrost this casserole before baking so make sure you use a baking dish that will go directly from the freezer to the oven.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 medium-sized eggplants
- 1 1⁄2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. whole milk
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut the eggplant into 1⁄3-inch thick slices. Put the breadcrumbs in a shallow pan. Beat the eggs together in separate shallow pan. Add the milk to the eggs. Dip each piece of eggplant in the egg mixture and then in the breadcrumb mixture, coating all sides.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Lightly brown both sides of the eggplant approximately 2 minutes per side.
- Spray a freezer-safe baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pour a small amount of marinara sauce into the dish, enough to cover the bottom of the casserole. Place alternate layers of eggplant, sauce, and combination of cheeses, ending with cheese on the top. Wrap tightly and freeze.
- To reheat, put frozen casserole into oven and cook at 350°F, covered, for 1 hour 30 minutes–1 hour 45 minutes, or until casserole is hot.